"Those who wish to sing always find a song"
- Swedish Proverb -
Warming up is one of the most important things you can do. Exercises help strengthen the voice, improve tone quality, increase range and prevent vocal issues or trauma.
- Always begin with your breathing exercises.
- Start gently and build up. Lip trills and humming are perfect for waking the voice up in the morning before you've even started speaking.
- Before singing tackle more complex warmups and exercises.
Listen to and sing along with these accompaniments to hep you practice. Preparation is key.
Vocal Health and Tips
Looking after your voice is so important. It is a very special instrument that needs to be cared for.
- Stay hydrated and drink lots of water.
- Always warm up before singing or even speaking.
- Learn how to use your speaking voice in a healthy way.
- Know your vocal limits (vocal range, endurance, loudness) and stay within them.
- Do not overuse your voice.
- Do no misuse your voice (includes screaming, shouting, throat clearing, belting with bad technique, singing without warming up).
- Rest your voice before and after singing, when you are ill and and when your voice is tired.
- Whispering does not save your voice! In fact, it actually makes it worse.
- If you think you have any sort of vocal issue, seek help from a qualified health care professional.